Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Wishful Thinking



A recent post on The Clever Pup about redecorating (it said, 'dream on' - I know, I know) inspired a look at books o' clippings. Why oh why didn't I keep the whole magazine -- or at least the photographer & writer credits? Because I didn't know I'd be doing this, that's why. House & Garden (also called HG in one incarnation) published a terrific article in the early 1990s on Isabella Rossellini's New York apartment. Her bedroom & bath are very elegant; but as I wrestle framed photographs, hats, & my desk into submission (sort of), these shots are most helpful & entertaining. The dogs at the desk are adorable & hard to resist. (The dachsund is wearing a scarf with considerable élan.)

HG went kaput for good in 2007 and is missed. A Google search for the HG archives leads directly to Architectural Digest. This is a publication that elicits a loathing in me totally out of proportion to its actual existence/importance in the world-at-large. The source of this disgust is a mystery...now I'll find out that a friend just went to work for them. Or something.

2 comments:

The Clever Pup said...

Susan, your up early!

These pictures Chez Rossellini are truly inspiring.

We have a tall white bookcase in exactly the same position - but my room is only 11 feet wide. I love those circus canvas things. I've got an ancestor wall and that is one cool way to display hats. I'm thinking already and can't wait to get home.

I guess I'll have to get the Jersey girl to wear Hermes.

A fun post for 8 am!

Susan said...

Yes, Jersey must have a scarf. So chic.

Love the Bob Dylan post...I saw the story in yesterday's Times (I think...well, in print anyway) & thought, 'oh man.' It was all very snarky, I thought. Harumph.

Have a good day. I hope you have some time to read or draw. Paint? It looks so gorgeous up there...I could sure use a view like the one from your mum's...that lake view with the sun going down...

xoSusan