Wednesday, July 7, 2010

The Jersualem Windows - Marc Chagall

I was fortunate to see the twelve windows from the perspective of a visitor & then, not so fortunate, as a patient. I've seen all of his stained glass work (I think). Here's a link to the hospital's site & to a rare book site. Here's a link to a post last year on a blog, Echostains & it has very nice images, as well.

Perched precariously on a dining room chair, stretching a blue open-weave summer blanket over the very large nekkid bedroom window, I listened to the Writer's Almanac very early today. Ah, it's Chagall's birthday. The light streams through the loose weave, casting a welcome chill & I thought, that's rather Chagall-ish. (Well, one must reach at times, you know.)

3 comments:

Bee said...

Oh, I do love that cobalt Chagall blue . . . how perfect for stained glass. I didn't know that he had worked in this medium; what a marvellous gift for the hospital.

Do you know why Chagall so often depicted people flying above-ground? I wish that I could give you this power so that you could rise above that horrid sticky heat-wave.

Giulia said...

Thank you, Ms. Bee. I've sent you an email with a link to a Smithsonian article.

I always thought of the flying as connected to more than one thing: Chagall's love of acrobats, fantasy, Russian & Jewish folklore, the desire to fly above circumstances of oppression, etc. Not just one thing. I'm wrong every day about so many things, so perhaps someone will come along with a psychoanalytic review. (The act of flying in dreams being a big huge deal...)

Thank you for your image of flying above the heat wave. Since it's "only" supposed to be in the mid-90s (but with higher humidity--shriek!), it's supposedly "better" today. Bah.

Angie Muresan said...

Happy Birthday to Chagall! Those windows are gorgeous!