Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Leave the Light On, Please

Well, I'm going to keep the light on if I have to plug myself in. Haven't worked out just how yet.

The power went out (again!) on Sunday early afternoon & returned today at 4am EDT. If not for 18-20 unexplained outages in 40 hours the previous week, I might have been sanguine about the wretched business. I checked--when I was a kid, the power rarely went out. In fact, I don't remember it ever going out. I have an excellent memory. Even with wind gales off Lake Erie (or later in Pittsburgh, with similar hideous weather--hot or cold). That's because the infrastructure was maintained. [photograph by great Tim Walker]

Off to collapse. Until the next outage.

PS: Here's the great Chris Smither singing his "Leave the Light On."

6 comments:

Mary-Laure said...

What's going on? Electricity shortages remind me of being in 3rd world countries like Uruguay, Iraq etc, NOT the USA! How can our economy be competitive if we can't even rely on technology? Lousy, cheap infrastructure. So much for technology. Sigh.

Kat Mortensen said...

Power failure? Oh dear! Hope you don't have too many perishables in the fridge or freezer. It's okay if it happens in the winter because you can just shove stuff out in the snow, but in the hot, humid crappy summer weather, what can you do?
Try and stay cool, Giulia (et SS).

Kat

Giulia said...

M-L - my thoughts exactly. I covered this jerk utility, so I know even more than most what liars they are.

Kat - Oh tons. I've lost hundreds of dollars since February. HUNDREDS. I cannot afford this. I invested in a cooler & freezer packs but all the ice was gone in the neighborhood. So mostly everything went. And as for winter--not all of us have a yard. No one would put their food outside where I live unless you want to sit next to it all the time. It would be gone. I have power now but we expect thunderstorms later today/perhaps tomorrow.

Many people in this area lost clothing too, to mold. They had it in washers in laundry rooms; power went out. They couldn't get in - there you go. I'm swimming in laundry but don't dare to do it. Will go to a friend's house but not everyone has that option.

ArtSparker said...

You must know the Neil Young song "Fork in the Road", right?

"Keep on blogging till the power runs out"...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=94NowusfobM

Giulia said...

Oh thank you, Susan. Forgot about it though huge Neil fan. Laughed out loud when I saw the video start. Thanks, I needed that. What's that I hear? Eh wot? Thunder. No.....

The Clever Pup said...

Nice picture.