Sunday, November 28, 2010

Week's End - Now, It's Up To You




I hesitate asking "do this in honor of" but I've been trying to decide for an entire week about what to do, hence the non-posts, the "hey look at this pretty picture (more than usual)" business. A very close friend's son died last week. He was studying to be a veterinarian & he also worked with children on his holidays & summer breaks. This was a sudden & horrible event & so please do this on his behalf.

I hope to return to regular posting soon. Giulia's blog will post daily as it is easier to set up & not so very personal (in the first-person sense).

Update: Monday. Thank you dear Carina for passing it on.

Cheers & have a good weekend. I hope you will pass on the information or do a post yourself. There is a toolkit on each IKEA website. Below is the text from GG's site:

Join GG in the Soft Toy Movement for every child's right to education. Please go to your country's IKEA website & click on Soft Toy campaign at the bottom of the homepage. There you will find all the information you need to pass the word on. It has downloadable wallpapers, a coloring book, a banner for blogs & Facebook pages, & videos.

This year, from November 1–December 24, for every soft toy sold, 1 euro (USD $1.35) will go to IKEA global partners UNICEF and Save the Children to extend and start new children's educational programs in 22 countries.

Pick up an inexpensive soft toy at IKEA & put it in a holiday gift donation basket if you don't need it. Giulia is holding a meow-in this very moment because she wants a soft toy this year. The spring has gone out of Celeste the IKEA Pig's curly tail. We'll see about an addition but Celeste the IKEA Pig (her full name) is not going anywhere...there's a familiar orange & white pink-nosed feline draped over her every day. (images via IKEA website)

6 comments:

carina said...

I'm so very sorry to hear about your friend's loss. My thoughts are with you both.

Carina

Julie@beingRUBY said...

Dear Susan
So sorry to hear about your friend's son.. what a terrible loss... there are really no words that bring comfort at a time like this...

Take care .. thinking of you.. and your friend... xxx Julie

Susan said...

Carina & Julie--Thanks. It's really true...there aren't real words to do much at all. I have been reading some of the notes left on a website & frankly, they make my teeth itch.

So what I really want is for people to spread the word about the IKEA campaign. I just went on several different sites, including Denmark (for Carina) & Australia (for Julie) & the materials to work with are really cute & fun. I just tried to learn some Danish & some Romanian (having almost mastered rudimentary English:) on the those Ikea sites.

xo

simon said...

Hi Susuan,

Awful situation to bury children, so my thought are with your friends.

I am sad to think you will stop posting as its a bvery enjoyable blog and i like your writing style., but its your space/place and you must do what sits best wth you.

I hope all things improve and yuo will blog again asap! ( got to know about digs etc!!)

:o)

Diane said...

I think that is my worst fear, I have a few friends whose children have died and I admire them for even being able tog et out of bed in the morning. The holidays will be very hard indeed.

Giulia said...

Simon--I sent you an email but...I didn't say I'm stopping the blog. I didn't take off August & should have as I've so much to attend to..but thanks. I doubt very much if anyone would notice.

Diane--yes. It is the worst thing that can happen. I know several people who fall into this awful category.